California Style Potato Salad

Mom's California Style Potato Salad

Growing up in southern California, my parents threw countless pool parties, and I doubt there was one without mother's potato salad.  Until I got older I never knew there was any other kind.  Now that I know better I love French potato salad with green beans and love a warm German potato salad.  But when I make it,  I always go back to what I ate back on Haskell Ave. and it's still the best.  Fresh dill is the key here.

Lunch, California style.

3 or 4 lbs white rose potatoes
5 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 cup green olives stuffed with pimiento, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced fine
4 eggs, chopped
4 dill pickle spears, chopped
2 or more tablespoons fresh dill

2 tablespoons olive or pickle juice
1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
1 scant cup prepared mayonnaise 
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Simmer potatoes in just boiling water until fork tender.  Cool, then slip off skins and remove any eyes.  Cut into large chunks.  This amount of potato salad needs about a cup of sauce.  To a measuring cup, add olive and/or pickle juice, mustard and salt and pepper.  Add mayonnaise to make one cup sauce.  Whisk together and add to potatoes, along with the chopped ingredients.  Mix well adding more salt and pepper to taste if needed.  Refrigerate and serve cold.  Makes 2 quarts.


The gadget above is called the Vidalia Chop Wizard and I love it.
I imagine I use it almost every day now.

 We like the veggies cut fine, and the potatoes in rather large chunks.


No comments:

Post a Comment