Almond Shortbread


Almond Shortbread

I love this variation of classic shortbread.

10 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Prepare an 8-9 inch square or round pan by spraying with cooking spray. If the pan does not have a removable bottom, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit pan and spray with cooking spray.

In a mixer bowl beat butter, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extracts until fluffy.  Mix in flours, then sliced almonds.  Press into a buttered and floured 8" round cake tin or 8" sq. pan and sprinkle with additional 2 tablespoons sugar.  Pierce all over with fork tines. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let cool on rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and while it is still warm,  cut into wedges or squares.  Yields 16 2" squares.

Click here for the basic shortbread recipe.




To make a comment, click here.  I love it when you do!



Follow 
Knitionary 



1 comment:

  1. I received this from a reader and thought I should add it here: I saw that almond flour can be obtained from amazon, but was surprised at the price for 1#. I’ll check the grocery store for smaller quantities. Have you ever made it successfully substituting wheat flour for almond flour?

    My response: Yes, it is expensive. It shocked me too. Mine was $12 for the bag and I plan to use it all up with Christmas baking. I’m keeping it in the refrigerator just to be on the safe side as I don’t know how long it will last. I know in the recipe you can use 1 1/2 C flour and not use the almond flour at all. To get enough almond flavor you might try eliminating the vanilla extract and use 1 tsp. almond extract instead.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete